Keeping our customers' data protected at all times is our highest priority. This security overview provides a high-level overview of the security practices put in place to achieve that objective. Have questions or feedback? Feel free to reach out to us at security@novonto
Dedicated Security Team
Our security team is comprised of security experts dedicated to improving the security of our organization. Our employees are trained on security incident response and are on call 24/7.
All of our services run in the cloud. We don’t host or run our own routers, load balancers, DNS servers, or physical servers. Our service is built on Amazon Web Services and Private VPS servers. They provide strong security measures to protect our infrastructure and are compliant with most certifications. You can read more about their practices here:
Data center security
Our data center is located in Germany and Turkey. It is a Tier IV, PCI DSS, and ISO 27001 compliant facility. Our servers are physically separated from other data center customers. The data center facilities are protected 24/7 with different security measures (guards, CCTV, electronic access control, etc.). Monitoring and alerting is in place for security breaches, power, HVAC, and temperature.
Network level security monitoring and protection
Our network security architecture consists of multiple security zones. We monitor and protect our network, to make sure no unauthorized access is performed using:
- A virtual private cloud (VPC), a bastion host or VPN with network access control lists (ACL’s) and no public IP addresses.
- A firewall that monitors and controls incoming and outgoing network traffic.
- An Intrusion Detection and/or Prevention technologies (IDS/IPS) solution that monitors and blocks potential malicious packets.
- IP address filtering
We use Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) mitigation services powered by an industry-leading solution.
Encryption in transit: All data sent to or from our infrastructure is encrypted in transit via industry best-practices using Transport Layer Security (TLS). You can see our SSLLabs report here Encryption at rest: All our user data (including passwords) is encrypted using battled-proofed encryption algorithms in the database.
Data retention and removal
Business continuity and disaster recovery
We back up all our critical assets and regularly attempt to restore the backup to guarantee a fast recovery in case of disaster. All our backups are encrypted.
Application security monitoring
- We use a security monitoring solution to get visibility into our application security, identify attacks and respond quickly to a data breach.
- We use technologies to monitor exceptions, logs and detect anomalies in our applications.
- We collect and store logs to provide an audit trail of our applications activity.
We develop following security best practices and frameworks (OWASP Top 10, SANS Top 25). We use the following best practices to ensure the highest level of security in our software:
- Developers participate in regular security training to learn about common vulnerabilities and threats
- We review our code for security vulnerabilities
- We regularly update our dependencies and make sure none of them has known vulnerabilities
2-factor authentication We provide a 2-factor authentication mechanism to protect our users from account takeover attacks. Setting up this extra security measure is optional but highly recommended to increase the security of sensitive data.
Account takeover protection We protect our users against data breaches by monitoring and blocking brute force attacks.
Role-based access control Role-based access control (RBAC) is offered on all our accounts and allows our users to define roles and permissions.
EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Our company conforms with the EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Frameworks for regulating data privacy between the European Union and the United States.
ISO 27001 Our company follows ISO/IEC 27001 framework. This standard provides a framework for establishing, and maintaining an information security management system (ISMS) to secure sensitive information through a risk management process that combines IT systems, people and processes.
GDPR We’re compliant to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The purpose of GDPR is to protect the private information of EU citizens and give them more control over their personal data. Contact us for more details on how we comply to GDPR.
- All payment instrument processing is safely outsourced which is certified as a PCI Level 1 Service Provider. We don’t collect any payment information and are therefore not subject to PCI obligations.
- We safely process and store your payment information following the strict Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS). We are certified as a PCI Service Provider.
- Our strict internal procedure prevents any employee or administrator from gaining access to user data. Limited exceptions can be made for customer support.
- All our employees sign a Non-Disclosure and Confidentiality Agreement when joining the company to protect our customers' sensitive information.
Last Modified: October 17, 2018.